Field Applications Scientist
Location: West Chester, PA area
The Field Applications Scientist (FAS) will be a liaison between our customers and a variety of company teams including Sales, Marketing, Engineers, Product Development, and Applications Development. He/She will be responsible for supporting our Commercial Team during all Beta and Commercial product deployments, recent installations, and provide complete customer support. Complete customer support includes providing onsite (or remote), hands-on customer training on product use and instrument operation, pre- and post-sales activities (design/create/deliver presentations), composing technical documentation including customer facing training materials (manuals, QuickStart guides, etc.) and internal training documentation and procedures.
Reports to: Senior Manager, Applications
Post Install Customer Training and Support
- Experienced liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC/MS) method developer with a broad knowledge of applications related to the analysis of biologically relevant molecules.
- Learn to operate company instrumentation on multiple mass spectrometry platforms to generate meaningful and valuable data sets for correlation to current LC/MS applications.
- Develop a high level of comfort discussing instrumentation capabilities in the context of specific application areas.
- Travel to customer sites to deliver advanced system level training. Requires a thorough knowledge of not only instrumentation but also a variety of application areas. In this role you will provide training to all customers on system use including hardware, software, data acquisition, and data processing.
- Provide first line post install applications support for customers. Involves troubleshooting methods and their interaction with hardware and data processing methods and procedures required for specific applications. Provide extensive technical support and system level troubleshooting.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with external and internal customers ensuring their success.
- Manage and drive resolution for all customer situations. Work with Service, Applications and Product Development teams to resolve customer issues as expeditiously as possible.
- Manage customer expectations, by communicating work performed and providing follow up plan if needed.
- Maintain sound knowledge of technology and customers' application demands.
- Collaboratively work with Business Development and Product Manager in respect to identifying future business opportunities and needs.
- Understanding of the current sample preparation techniques in support of biopharmaceuticals applications such as, but not limited to biopharmaceutical characterization of glycans, intact/subunit protein, peptide mapping, targeted lipids (native protein is a plus).
- Understanding the technology, capability, unmet needs, and concerns (current and potential) of end users and the overall marketplace.
- Having a current and accurate knowledge of the instrumentation landscape from sample preparation through data analysis reporting used in the biopharmaceutical market.
Separations, Mass Spectrometry Ion mobility in support of demos and proof of concept studies
- Acquire, process, and interpret ion mobility mass spectrometry data.
- Operate and evaluate product prototypes, laboratory/beta units, and production units as Product Development makes product improvements and advancements.
- Possess necessary knowledge of technology to assist with design experiments with an eye toward showcasing the benefits or HRIM.
- Resolve a variety of issues with proposed HRIM methods and modify them to increase the breadth and quality of analyses based technology.
- Process and interpret ion mobility and mass spectrometry data.
- Independently creates presentations of technical outcomes to customers and provides instrumentation demonstrations (live and virtual).
- Builds productive internal working relationships to resolve mutual problems by collaborating on procedures or transactions; works comfortably within an interdisciplinary team of engineering, applications development, and operational employees to achieve operational and technical objectives in a manner that ensures the product performance meet customer needs.
- Helps improve application specific methods and suggests improvements to processes as required.
Develop Training Documentation and Procedures (25%)
- Work with the service team to adapt instrument training presentations to be formatted as a refresher to support applications training visits.
- Enhance and develop new application specific “getting started” guides.
- Help prepare and enhance application centric troubleshooting guides for various topic areas that generate frequent questions.
- Develop materials in conjunction with the product development team to introduce data post-processing software, procedures and protocols.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required in analytical chemistry, chemistry, biochemistry, or similar.
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience with analytical instrumentation.
- Previous experience as a field applications scientist.
- Previous experiencing using, troubleshooting, mass spectrometry instrumentation
- Previous proficiency with training customers in mass spectrometry including, but not limited to troubleshooting hardware, software, workflows, and data processing.
- Ability to identify unmet needs in analytical workflows and provide a hypothesis for the potential impact of technology.
- Knowledge of workflows related to analysis of biological samples.
- Strong customer centric focused.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with the technical team
- Exceptional time and project management skills with the ability to own and manage multiple projects in a changing environment and meet timelines.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts.
- Willingness to travel 50%.
- Authorized to work within the United States.
For immediate consideration, email firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Job# 18341. Check out www.scientificsearch.com for all of our openings.